Waxing is the common hair removal method that is most-requested in beauty salons. Like every popular thing, waxing also has myths surrounding itself.
Let’s have a look at the most commonly prevailing myths about waxing:
- Hairs grown after waxing are thicker – Many believe that regular waxing can grow back the coarser and thicker hairs, which is completely not true. In fact, very frequent waxers have reported that regular waxing can reduce hair growth and make hair growth finer which reduces the discomfort caused by waxing.
- You should only wax the bottom of the eyebrow – This is the biggest myth of all. You should always consult a professional beautician to find out what is best for your eyebrows. A little waxing on top of the eyebrows can help in shaping your eyebrows and giving you a tidy look.
- Waxing hurts – Yes and No! How much painful waxing is, depends on the pain tolerance of a person. However, waxing is not something that one should fear. The discomfort caused by waxing is not long-lasting, and if you are worried about the pain, you can take pain-relieving meds before waxing. Waxing gives a hair-free and smooth skin for at least 20 days.
- Waxing damages the skin on a long term – While waxing can leave some side-effects on the skin, there is no way that it damages your skin in the long term. On the contrary, it has some positive benefits like it evenly exfoliates the skin and offers various benefits to the top layer of the skin.
- Getting waxed during the period is not a big deal – when you are on your periods, your skin is more sensitive to pain. So when you wax a large area, you feel more pain. However, waxing small areas like eyebrows should not cause any discomfort.
- Exfoliation is necessary – This is true! Though waxing exfoliates the skin, exfoliation still is necessary pre-waxing. Prepping your skin before waxing will help you in preventing redness, bumps, and chances of ingrown hairs.
- Skin gets sensitive after waxing – This is again true! Waxing makes your skin pores open, so it is very important that you keep the skin clean and soothing after waxing for a few days. You should avoid exercise for at least 24 hours and avoid taking excessive heat.
- The effect of waxing is long-lasting – Again True! The results of waxing can last up to 3-4 weeks, and once you start to wax regularly, the growth of your hairs reduces significantly.
- Hair should be of a certain length – True! The ideal length of the hair should be between a quarter of an inch to half an inch for effective waxing. Waxing longer hairs is painful while for shorter hairs waxing becomes difficult as the length of the hair is not sufficient enough to grab.
Waxing can be intimidating for some, but with proper preparation and method, you can enjoy the waxing session and have smoother looking skin for weeks.